John Lennon is right. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. All the wonderful things that happened the past two months seemed like a blur now as I try to go back to my regular routine. I finally had the time to reflect on those things. I am thankful for all the opportunities the past two months. Here are some quotes that proved to be true for me:
1. ”You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C. S. Lewis
One of my aunts was the youngest in the family. She never took interest in cooking since someone else in the family took charge of that task while she was growing up. My aunt is almost 60 but when there was a TESDA culinary training program in our barangay, she enlisted and learned to cook. We were just too happy to be taste-testers.
This is the pasta dish she cooked.
Because she gained confidence in kitchen, she cooked caramelized bananas.
2. ”No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.”
I read this quote somewhere. I am not sure who originally said this. I have several projects for the past two months that sometimes, it felt like I needed a break. Sometimes, I fear that I might not be able to perform well. But the trick was to just show up, do the best work and you get your rewards. Mine reward was in artwork and chocolate.
3. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world”. -Gustave Flaubert. In my case, I was a small girl near a big tree.
4. “Practice isn’t the thing you do once you’re good. It’s the thing you do that makes you good.” – Malcolm Gladwell. I found time to practice watercolor painting, drawing and calligraphy. I tried a little poetry, too.
5. ” The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart”. -Elizabeth Foley
I got to go out with my longtime friend in Manila. I got to bond with my college roommates in Laguna. I have not seen them in 12 years. I also visited my good friend in Singapore. I met up with my college classmate here in Butuan.
6. “OHANA means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten”. -Lilo and Stitch” My aunt volunteered to repaint my living room.
This was after I came back from a trip and found my entryway colorfully repainted. I am blessed.
7. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.” Robert Collier
I have been religiously exercising in February and it felt great. Travel got in the way in March. I am trying to get back to the routine this April.
8. “Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer.
I got to know Johanna Basford through a Facebook post by Patricia. I kept telling myself. Why did not I think of that? Johanna is an artist who creates intricate drawings using inks (pen). She published 2 coloring books for adults and I want a copy but they are sold out at Amazon. The following are her books:Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book and Enchanted Forest: An Inky Quest & Coloring Book. I just made my own coloring page inspired by her artistic skills.
Thank you, God, for the awesome two months!